Who we are and How we started
Letters Patent were issued on July 28th 1948 by Daniel Roland Michener the Provincial Secretary of Ontario to a corporation in the City of Windsor under the name of CANADIAN ANGLO CLUB (WINDSOR). The four original directors of the corporation were Marshall Arthur Skinner, James Nevison Crockett, George Howles and Ronald Victor Evans. These four men had decided that there was a need for a club in the City of Windsor to assist new immigrants from the United Kingdom find housing and employment.
The original purposes and objectives of the corporation as laid out in the Letters Patent were as follows.
a) To promote the moral, intellectual, material and social welfare of the members of the corporation.
b) To develop a high standard of Canadian citizenship.
c) To sponsor and promote activities which have humanitarian ideals.
In almost sixty years of existence the purposes and objectives of the Canadian Anglo Club (Windsor) have changed little. Between 1948 and 1971 the Club set about growing and fund raising with a goal of finding a permanent home. For almost a quarter of a century activities, in particular fund raising Saturday night dances, were held in various halls around the City.
Finally in 1971 a hall was bought on Lauzon Road and the membership set about turning an empty shell of a building into a Club. On December 8th 1972 The Club celebrated it's opening with a Grand Ball. David Barwise was President. Although still located in the same building today the inside has enjoyed many make overs in the ensuing years and the outside property has changed radically.
Membership continued to grow and Golf and Dart leagues were formed along with Soccer teams. The Club began to make donations to many local charities and sponsor sports teams.
1990 saw the Club join the local Multicultural Society and participate in the annual Carrousel of the Nations as the British Village entertaining, amongst others, our fellow Association of British Clubs(ABC) member the Commonwealth Club from Warren, Michigan. Participation in the Carrousel of the Nations continued for most of the 1990s.
In 1991 the house immediately next door to the Club was purchased opening up almost two hundred continuous feet of Lauzon Road. Volunteers from the Anglo Soccer Club then landscaped a garden and patio area adjacent to the Club for the enjoyment of the membership.
In addition to regular charitable donations and sponsorships the Club has organized fundraisers for such major disasters as Lockerbie, Hillsborough and more recently the Tsunami and London Bombings.
2005 saw another major change with the whole of our outside property being paved, lit and landscaped.
Membership currently stands at 250 and as the Club's name suggests is made up of a good mixture of Brits and Canadians. Activities continue to be entertaining and diverse with a good selection of imported and domestic refreshments on hand.